Thursday 5 April 2012

Nicol DeNoir, why Corsetry?

I began producing corsets once hitting a cross road and deciding my next move, long after graduating from University and building up loads of experience. I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to do once I completed my degree, accept focus on Music, Fashion & TV but funny enough looking back at my old Uni sketch books, the interest for corsetry was always there, way before I even realised it myself. It was as if it was my destiny to turn this creativity into my main profession.

Copyright © 2012 Nicola Desnoes T/A Nicol DeNoir™ corsets. All Rights Reserved

I learnt to do garment construction first before I knew how to design, only by accident, after my Art portfolio from school was mislaid and never found. Three years worth of some real artwork, dedication and commitment for the subject that I had achieved my highest grades, lost forever and all completely gone, never to be seen again.

I was devastated and tried every college or university for fashion that I could, to be told that without the artwork I didn't stand a chance. All I had was a few drawings, that I tried to put together, but there was no way I could compete with the work I had previously. So eventually I got into college and was offered a place in garment construction instead (to my huge disappointment) at my local college, which involved very limited artwork.

Copyright © 2012 Nicola Desnoes T/A Nicol DeNoir™ corsets. All Rights Reserved

This disappointment actually became a blessing in disguise years later, as I soon discovered. By learning about garment construction first, it then gave me the technical mind that I now have, to create a garment from a completely different prospective. Just because someone can produced a piece of clothing it doesn't automatically turn that person into a designer, which some people seem to think it does. Once you study the art you soon realise they are completely different skills in all areas of design and garment construction, and actually quite difficult to master. You have to have a creative mind to know how to turn something into a piece of art. Corsetry really is more than just a item of clothing, and that's why I try to produce something that is just a little bit more than what you see as a typical or traditional corset.

Copyright © 2012 Nicola Desnoes T/A Nicol DeNoir™ corsets. All Rights Reserved

I tend to work with bright colours; maybe this came from being a beauty consultant and applying years and years of makeup to women from all over the world, which I began two years before I decided to go back into study. I never wanted to be a makeup artist, but that too was also something I got into by accident and carried on throughout my studies. If I'm not working with colour then I use various textures as my medium.

Corsetry is a challenge but the end results are always great as it makes the wearer feel fabulous, confident and extremely feminine. It often surprises me when I receive emails from PR agents, magazines and stylist for their celebrity clients, which is something I am only just getting used to now, But when I began this business I never believed in a million years that the young teenager who was turned down by every single educational establishment, to do Btec in Art & Design, would eventually be approached, commissioned or collaborate with some of the biggest names in the public eye.

Copyright © 2012 Nicola Desnoes T/A Nicol DeNoir™ corsets. All Rights Reserved

These bold coloured metallic corsets were created inorder for the wearer to stand out from the crowd, to make a bold statement. I am who I am, when you spot a Nicol DeNoir corset, it's only then will you recognise it's all about the brand! Once you own one, you'll always be wondering 'when can I wear it again'.......

When I was young I was discouraged by a few people, until one day I met a tutor while studying at Central St. Martin's College of Art & Design who said I was more than ready to do a degree, although I didn't have the correct qualifications, but she was positive the level of my work was higher than average. It was so encouraging that I then became so determined to go for it, and since then I just kept going and never looked back. I persevered trying all opportunities and working my way up. The Nicol DeNoir fashion label really is only just the beginning..........

No comments:

Post a Comment